Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Need to Know Facts about Fire Damage
- In entering any building clearance from the fire marshal is needed for your own safety.
- Upon entering any building or house it is a must to wear personal protective equipment.
- Relocate pets and children to other lodging for safety.
- Toxic chemicals and poisonous gases are in the air, avoid breathing the air in the contaminated areas.
- Wearing the personal protective equipment such as a proper fitting respirator with a hepa filter is highly advised.
- Avoid using any kind of leaf blowers or a standard vacuum, due to it does not filter out small particles, and instead blow them out the exhaust in the air where they can be inhaled.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (424) 570-9900
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.